Structured Workplace Learning (SWL) is a valuable compulsory part of the Peter Lalor Vocational College program. The competencies gained during structured work placement contribute strongly to both Work Related Skills (WRS) learning outcomes and Vocational Education and Training (VET) units.
Structured Work Placement Days:
Foundation VCAL (Year 10): Tuesday
Intermediate and Senior VCAL (Year 11 and 12): Wednesday or Friday (depending on VET course)
SWL Arrangement Form:
Prior to commencing a placement the following form must be completed by the student, parent/guardian. Employer and the Principal: http://www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/school/teachers/teachingresources/careers/work/SWLarrangefrmamended.pdf
During Structured Work Placement:
- If a student is unable to attend for any reason or going to be late they must personally call their workplace supervisor as soon as possible, before the agreed start time. They must also contact the office staff at Peter Lalor Vocational College. If the absence is due to illness a medical certificate should be obtained.
- If a student needs to leave placement for any reason, before the agreed finish time, they must inform their workplace supervisor and the office staff at Peter Lalor Vocational College.
- If a student believes the workplace is unsafe (e.g. manual handling, chemicals, bullying, falls etc.) or the tasks given are unreasonable they must inform their workplace supervisor of the issue immediately, cease work and return to Peter Lalor Vocational College to seek the advice of the Student Pathways Coordinator.
- Mobile phones are not to be used under any circumstances during placement hours. They must be turned off, placed in a secure area and only use during allocated breaks and after working hours.
- Students who wish to work outside the specified hours of the SWL Agreement must consult with the Student Pathways Coordinator before commencement and complete the required documentation.
- SWL logbooks must be completed every week by students.
- Students must attend their work placement till the completion of classes in Term 4.
- Beginning Term 2 any student without a work placement is to attend school on their work placement day from 9.00am – 3.05pm.
Securing a Structured Work Placement:
The Student Pathways Coordinator will provide assistance to students in seeking and securing placements. However, students are encouraged to utilize their social and family networks to assist in securing a work placement. If a student contacts an employer who agrees to offer them a work placement they must talk with the Student Pathways Coordinator who will confirm the work placement and complete the required documentation before commencement. Students can also access work placements through the Department of Education and Training (DET) SWL Portal: http://www.workplacements.education.vic.gov.au
Refer to the following link from the Victorian DET: Structured Workplace Learning Manual – Student, Parent or Guardian: